Summary of Indications, Contraindications, Warnings and Precautions
The Asante Snap Insulin Pump System has been designed using advanced technology and sophisticated safety systems to help you manage your diabetes. The Snap Pump System is used for insulin therapy to help maintain your blood glucose (BG) targets as recommended by your healthcare professional.
The Asante Snap Insulin Pump is limited to sale by or on the order of a physician and should only be used under the direction of a healthcare professional familiar with the risks associated with the use of these systems. Patients should always discuss potential risks and benefits with a physician.
Incorrect use of the Asante Snap Pump System, failure to follow the instructions in the user manual, or improper/inadequate self-care techniques, can lead to death or serious injury. If you do not understand or have questions, ask your healthcare professional or call the Asante Help Line at Toll-free 855-4ASANTE (855-427-2683).
Please review the Asante Snap Insulin Pump user manual prior to use for detailed instructions and disclosure. You can download it now here.
Asante Snap Insulin Pump User Manual
The Asante Snap Pump System provides continuous subcutaneous delivery of rapid-acting U-100 insulin at programmable basal and bolus rates for the management of diabetes mellitus in patients requiring insulin. The Snap System is designed only for Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII).
The Snap System should not be used for the infusion of blood or blood products. Do not use any other drugs/medications in this pump.
Use only new, full, non-expired, Humalog® prefilled U-100, glass cartridges that have been prescribed by your physician.
The Snap System should not be used by those who do not have sufficient vision and hearing to operate the pump and recognize the alarms and alerts.
- Ensure that you have access to a replacement infusion set, insulin cartridge, and pump body. Several alarms cannot be resolved without replacing one or more of these items.
- The Snap System is designed to deliver only Humalog® fast- acting insulin. Therefore, you will not have long-acting insulin in your body. To avoid the risk of Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) or very high BG, you must be prepared to give yourself an injection of insulin if delivery from the pump is interrupted for any reason.
- Your pump body and insulin cartridge may need to be replaced if dropped.
- Do not submerge your pump. If your pump gets wet, you may have to replace the pump body and insulin cartridge.
- Your pump has been designed to operate in the presence of common sources of electrostatic and electromagnetic interference, including airport and store security systems. If you plan to undergo an MRI, remove your pump beforehand and keep it outside the room during the procedure.
- When traveling by airplane, disconnect the infusion set from your body during takeoff and landing. If you fly in aircraft without cabin pressurization, disconnect the infusion set tubing from the cannula.
- Consult your healthcare professional before using the pump to determine which programming features are appropriate for you.
- The pump body and infusion set are for single use only.
- Be sure to test your BG levels at least four times per day.
- Occasionally check the infusion cannula for proper placement and leaks, and check the infusion set for any damage, leaks, or kinks while using the pump. Improperly placed infusion cannulas or leaks around the infusion site can result in inadequate insulin delivery. Damaged, leaking, or kinked tubing may restrict or stop insulin delivery and result in inadequate insulin delivery.
- Keep an emergency kit with you at all times to make sure that you always have necessary supplies. Inform a family member, co-worker, and/or friend where this emergency kit is kept. Your emergency kit should include the following items:
- fast-acting glucose tablets
- blood glucose monitoring supplies
- ketone monitoring supplies
- spare pump body, infusion set, and insulin cartridge
- dressing and adhesive
- Glucagon Emergency Kit®
- insulin syringe or insulin pen and fast-acting insulin (follow insulin labeling and instructions from your healthcare professional)